September 4, 2008

Vanilla Lager Cake

I remembered making this chocolate Guinness cake a while back and how it was so moist, dense, and delicious that I wanted to try making another type of cake using another type of beer I had in my fridge. I discovered this vanilla cake recipe that was simply enough and I decided to change it a bit so I could add my beer without it being to overpowering. The first batch I made I used Kokanee Gold, which is an amber lager that has a hint of caramel taste to it. The second batch I made I used Granville Island Honey Lager because I wanted to try it again with a different sweetness. Both cakes turned out awesome and were moist with a delicious unique flavor to them. I think lager beers work best because they are much lighter and more refreshing than ales or stouts.

















Vanilla Lager Cake

1 Cup butter
1 Can (355ml) Lager beer
2 Eggs, beaten
1/2 Cups sour cream
2 Cups all-purpose flour
2 Cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

Frosting:
2 Cups whipping cream
3 Tbs confectioners sugar
1 tsp vanilla
(optional: remaining can of beer, approx.2-3Tbs)
(optional: 1 Cup crushed walnuts)

1) In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; once almost melted add beer and bring to a slight simmer stirring occasionally
2) Once simmered, remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly
3) Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375F, grease and lightly flour two 9in. pans
4) In a small bowl beat eggs, once beaten add sour cream and beat until smooth
5) Stir together all ingredients (including egg mixture and beer mixture) in one large bowl until smooth
6) Pour batter equally into pans and bake in oven for 20-24min (mine took 22min)
7) Remove from oven and cool on wire racks for 10min, then remove cakes from pans and let cool completely on wire racks

8) Meanwhile; to make frosting, pour whipping cream into a large chilled bowl (pre-chill bowl and beaters beforehand while making the cake)
9) Beat cream on high with electric beaters until it forms soft peaks
10) Gradually add remaining ingredients to whipped cream and beat until desired thickness and store in fridge until cake is cooled
11) Once cake is cooled, ice cake and garnish with walnuts (or with garnish of choice)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.